Monday, September 21, 2009

Why I Make Things

Creating art has been a part of my life from the time I was about 3 or 4 years old. Some of my earliest memories are drawing with crayons on a big sketch pad as my mom spent afternoons oil painting at an easel. She was taking a night class at the time, and painted portraits. I have dabbled in all kinds of arts and crafts thoughout my life, including pen and ink, acrylic paint, watercolor, needlecrafts, graphic design, clay, and most recently, jewelry.

Art is as necessary as breathing. Whenever I'm feeling antsy or off-center, I want to get my hands dirty and create... something... regardless if the creation turns out particularly well. Artists create because they are passionate about life. The creative process can be as different for everybody as the end product they achieve.

Lynda Lehmann wrote, in Art and Power, "...We see glimpses of beauty and wonder in places where other people may fail to look, unearthing it at every turn. We see new relationships, both visual and metaphoric, sociological and scientific." (See http://www.creativity-portal.com/bc/other/art-power.html) And thank goodness for artists, who transport us from our everyday lives to momentary greatness through their creations.

Now that the seasons are shifting into autumn, my thoughts turn to Christmas and the wonderful bins of remnants collected in the attic, waiting to be turned into handmade gifts. And the urge to create is upon me.

No comments:

Post a Comment